Thursday, July 21, 2011

Virginia Quilt Museum (Harrisonburg, VA)



Crossed Laurel Leave (c. 1836)
My visit to Virginia Quilt Museum (museum link) was very inspiring and fulfilled my quilting needs...well, for a month…okay, for a couple of weeks....hmmm, maybe.   It has been too long since I have talked quilts with another quilter besides online or to view other quilters art work.  It is such a wonderful feeling.

Oh! And talk about a small world!  The receptionist (and I’m sorry I did not get her name) had lived in Los Alamos, NM.  It was nice to talk to her about New Mexico, Virginia, Harrisonburg, and quilts.
Chiquita Banana by Carolyn Lynch
I picked a good time to visit, because the museum’s exhibit featured a non-conformist quilter Carolyn Lynch.  My kind of quilter!  I have seen her work off and on over the years, but I have never read about her dilemma with quilting rules.   Carolyn did not follow the rules; she followed her heart and her sense of humor.  Carolyn’s quilts did not fit into any of the judging exhibits when she submitted her unique work.  That’s when they created a new category: "Articles of Merit Not Listed".  I have linked the museum’s write up on Carolyn’s story, but it will only be there for the time of the exhibit which ends on 3 September.

The result of years of quilting showed a very diverse and entertaining quilt exhibit.  If I did not know that the quilts were all made by one quilter, I would have sworn they were made by many different quilters.

“Puff’s Revenge” is my favorite quilt!  Two of my favorite things: Dragons and quilts – together even better.
Puff's Revenge by Carolyn Lynch
The second quilt that caught my eye and I spent a lot of time looking at was the “Ode to Candle Salad”.  I have never heard of this salad so I was very curious about it.  Have you heard of the candle salad?
Ode to Candle Salad by Carolyn Lynch

Another exhibit I thoroughly enjoyed was the Civil War quilts.  Beautiful quilts with such tiny stitches.   It is amazing the great condition they are in today.
Friendship Star Pieced Quilt (c.1856)
This is the Greene Family Album Quilt.  Mary Ware Greene found the original quilt in her late husband’s trunk.  It had been stored in the attic for their entire marriage.   One block is signed Cinnie C. Pearce.  I think it is such a shame that this beautiful quilt spent all that time hidden away in a trunk.  At least now, it is on display for all to admire.
Greene Family Album Quilt (c. 1882)

Okay!  Time to quilt!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing those. I was particularly interested in the dragon quilt.(Next year is the year of the dragon) Many of those fabrics are the very ones I am using in the runner I am now making for my daughter. Hmmm
    Small world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Julie. I'm glad you enjoyed them. I had to checkout your runner. It is beautiful and does look like the dragon quilt. Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts