Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sweetgrass Hand-Woven Baskets, Mt. Pleasant, SC

Yesterday travel day to Camp LeJeune, NC.  We moved from Charleston, SC to Camp LeJeune, NC.  We took Hwy. 17 for most of the journey.  North of Charleston while passing through Mt. Pleasant, I started seeing old flimsy looking side stands.  Most were empty, but a few had some unusually beautiful baskets on display.  The signs said "Sweetgrass Baskets".  I had to Google!  I'm so glad I did.

Photo from Charleston Sweetgrass
Handmade Sweetgrass Baskets
According to the Charleston Sweetgrass website:  Slaves from West Africa have been weaving Sweetgrass baskets for over 400 years and there is little information or written instructions on how to make them.  I borrowed a photo from this website so you can see why I like their baskets so much.  The website also gives a little history about the makers and the baskets.

My wrist has finally healed!  I am back to quilting and I feel a lot more relaxed.  sigh! what a relief!  I have some extra wide fabric on order from Equilter.  I ordered 4 yards (108"wide) of black for the SouthWest Kokopeli top.  I need backing, borders, binding.......and a little left over for some applique work.
Back to Happy Quilting!
Sketch of applique


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts