Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shenandoah National Park



Wild Flowers along Skyline Drive

I’m back!  WooHoo!  I missed my internet!  It is amazing how much I need my internet connection.   With a few strokes of the keyboard, I have information, news from family and friends along with entertainment.  Instant gratification!  Oh yea!

Well, the good news is that I did get a little more quilting done in the evenings.
2nd Pumpkin and 2 more snowmen

Started Garden Nouveau

Since the last time I blogged, we have been busy exploring the Shenandoah National Park and some of the surrounding area.  We stayed in Loft Mountain Campground inside the Park.  I felt like we were on top of the world.  All the scenic views were spectacular. We had to drive 25 miles on Skyline Drive to get to the campground.  I wasn't so sure about this drive in the motorhome since I had read a description saying the drive wound around on top of the ridge of the mountains.  But it wasn't that bad.  Most of the time it was a tree covered road with wide and very spacious overlook areas.  We could fit our motorhome towing the car with plenty of space for many more cars.
Great views from Skyline Drive
We had just settled in to our new home when the park received a good downpour.  I don’t think it lasted more than an hour, but it certainly made a difference in the temperature.  The weather stayed cool most of our stay.  Which was a big plus since we were dry camping (no hookups) during our stay.  It was so nice to be able to sleep with the windows open.

For our first full day in the park, we did a 3.5 mile hike on Doyles Fall Trail that was described as being “moderate”.  I felt so out of shape!  It felt more like “difficult” to me.  It took me two days to recuperate from that hike.  The next hike was a little over 4 miles on Rose River Falls.  Two friendly Rangers advised us that the trail was an easier walk than Doyles and better because it followed the cascading river.   I did not feel as wimpy on this trail, but I still need to get back into shape.

I’ll try to get my photos uploaded to Webshots in a couple of days.

Next blog:  Virginia Quilt Museum

We move to Gladys, VA.  Not too far from Lynchburg.   I’m not sure how long we will stay here before moving west to Tennessee.

2 comments:

  1. The picture with the wildflowers is particularly lovely. I can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! I'm editing and uploading as I write this. I hope to finish today. Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts