Saturday, July 23, 2011

Appomattox Court House (Lynchburg, VA)


Law office
We spent a couple of hours visiting the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park.  We did not stay long because of the sweltering heat was almost unbearable.  Standing in the shade watching sweat pour off us just wasn't our idea of entertainment.
McLean's Home - Grant & Lee agreed to surrendering terms
It was interesting to see the place where the Civil War finally came to an end and heartbreaking descriptions of the men’s reactions to the surrender.  The McLean house gave great insight to how they lived back in the 1860’s.   The kitchen and the ice house are still separate from the main house and the slave’s quarters were nearby. I did see some old quilts, but there was no information about them.

The local weather man says this heat will break next week.  I hope so because it is not fun spending all day inside the motorhome.  I hope everyone is staying cool during these hot days.


received an email from Borders about closing their doors.  I love visiting Borders.  When we lived in Albuquerque, I would drive an extra 15 minutes to a grocery store just because their neighbor was a Borders.  I know there are still other bookstores but for some reason, Borders was my favorite.  I will miss them.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like your having a wonderful trip!! Hopefully this heat breaks for you soon. My dad is also in VA and my mom is in NY and its really really hot in both places. I'm enjoying the 80s we're having. Its a little warm but not too unbearable, especially since I'm packing up the camper today and tomorrow! Happy quilting and touring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, We are having a wonderful time. We lived in VA a long time ago, but never got to see the mountains. I have always loved the southern states and their rich history. It is so nice to be back.
    So we have been hearing from our family in WA. The NW has some cool summers, but I remember some hot ones too.
    How exciting to starting a new adventure! Have a safe and fun trip! Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts