Saturday, May 19, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival (Spokane, WA)

It's time for Blogger's Quilt Festival!  This is my second time participating in this wonderful event hosted by Amy's Creative Side.  Thank you Amy!  I love visiting quilters from around the world it is so inspiring to see their beautiful creations.  
Amy's Creative Side
This is my Delightfully Dizzy quilt.  I won a gift certificate from Amy's last Blogger's Quilt Festival.  The gift certificate was for The Quilted Fish.  The shop had some great designer fabric that I have never used before, but decided to try something new.   
I have to admit that when the Delighted! fabric by Riley Blake arrived, I was feeling outside my comfort zone.  The more I arranged and re-arranged the two packages of 10" squares, the more I like them.  I decided to use Cake Mix pattern from Layer Cake Recipe.  
I found matching green fabric for the border and backing.   The blocks had to be made smaller than the pattern's original block size.  I had just enough for five blocks across and seven blocks down.  Perfect for a small lap-size quilt.
36 x 48 inches
As the quilt came together, the fabric took on a life of its own.  I not only found it delightful, but cheerfully dizzy as the colors and patterns swirled together.  Hence the name Delightfully Dizzy!


I had to add some kind of appliqué before I sandwiched the layers.  I knew I wanted to mimic the flowers without actually duplicating them.  I was quite happy when I found an old appliqué design from one of my Baltimore Album pattern books.  Funny how something from an older design can fit so well with a new design fabric.
This quilt started out as a challenge and ended up being so much fun.  I have a feeling I will be challenging myself again with fabric outside my comfort zone.

Thanks for stopping by!   I hope you found my quilt delightful, but not too dizzy!

Happy Quilting!

16 comments:

  1. Hi! Your quilt is so beautiful! I love your fabrics and happy colours! They mix all together so wonderful! Applique is lovely detail - cherry on a cake! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how beautiful! Stunning colors! Regards from Winnie the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun , happy quilt! Beautiful bright colours! I love the name you chose for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very happy fabrics!

    Check out my blog if you can...

    Margaret Gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sunny, happy quilt Sandy--just makes me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love it when everything works out ... especially when it is a bit of a streatch. Very fresh and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, I love the colors on your beautiful work...gorgeous all finished. I feel the same way about working on a painting, as you go along, the piece guides you and takes on a life and spirit of it's own. Keep up the great work.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo...I love the colors and the design is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so pretty! The colors work so great together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely fresh colours! And your green matches so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those colors are so bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is dizzy...but in a want to spin with it around my neck in a field of flowers, kind of dizzy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts