Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Binding Quilt Stories (Las Vegas)

No Peeking!
Sonoma Rose by Jennifer Chiaverini
When I start reading one of Jennifer Chiaverini's books, I anticipate a story filled with quilters finding friendship through their love of quilting.  There are few books published by a writer that understands quilters and our love to quilt or to talk quilt.  
Sonoma Rose
I can understand an author wanting to spread her wings and write about something new.  I just feel Sonoma Rose should have been marketed separate from the Elm Creek series.  The only connection to Elm Creek was a couple of flashbacks to Elizabeth from The Quilter's Homecoming.  Otherwise, this story was about Rosa's family and Lars.

As you can tell, I never tire of reading about the process of quilting - no matter what is being describe.  But, this story did not focus on the quilter's life or quilting.  Basically, the only quilt talk came from Rosa thinking about block patterns and colors for each of her children's quilts, her mother's two quilts barely get describe, and she cuddles under her own quilt.  Towards the end, Rosa started to teach a friend how to quilt, but that ended before they even got started. Great!

If you are interested in Prohibition and life on a vineyard then this book is for you.  I enjoyed Rosa's story and I learned a few things about the Prohibition era. I often read Jennifer's books more than once, but I doubt that I will read this one again anytime soon.  I'll have to run out of reading material first.

I won't give up on her though... Jennifer's next book The Giving Quilt will make up the difference since it is about the Elm Creek's Quiltsgiving Day.  Two of my favorite subjects: Quilts and Project Linus.  

But, I have to wait until the end of October...so in the meantime, I found a new author, Clare O'Donohue.  I started reading her first book The Lover's Knot: A Someday Quilts Mystery today.  Quilts! Mystery!  Now that's my kind of story!
 


 On the Cutting Board
Okay!  I got all the binding done yesterday.  Can you see that the red binding is a lot thinner than the other two?
I was a little short on red material so I made the red binding 2 inches instead of my usual 2.5 inches width.  I would rather be narrow than short on length.  I have used binding this narrow before, but it is not easy to wrap around the raw edges of the quilt.

Tuesday Treasury
Like a buffet, I pick out one or two items that strike my interest and move on to the next section.  The more eclectic - the better I like it!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how our arts/crafts take over every aspect of our lives :) They are our passions and we want them to be in every part of our lives...even our reading :)
    Fun treasury!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read a quilt novel...maybe I will! Can't wait to see the finished pics of the quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great treasury! I will go and visit it in Etsy too. =)

    ~Kim
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com
    Visiting today from Blogging Buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilts and mystery. I like the looks of that and wrote it down in my pocket note book/calendar.I hope to get a book fix this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts