Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Traveling Through Death Valley (Pahrump, NV)

Ashford Mill Ruins
We got a late start on our visit to Death Valley National Park.  We planned to visit Scotty's Castle and the northern end, but it wasn't going to happen.  Not today anyway.  A truck had jack-knifed across the two lane highway with no impact that we could see.  From the way people were just standing around and there were no emergency vehicles, I would say no one was hurt.  They were just waiting for the road to be cleared.

Change of plans...  We turned around and drove to the center east entrance to Death Valley.  The weather was almost perfect - cool and a little windy.
Ashford Mill Ruins
Only a golfer would come up with the name The Devil's Golf Course for this area.  I have no idea why anyone would think to golf here.
Devil's Golf Course
 We stopped to see the Natural Bridge.  This a view from the trail head.  I could not have asked for a more picture perfect day.
Here's Dan standing in front of the Bad Water area.  Cars on the main road look like ants.  That's how far away we are in this photo.  It is so amazing how far we can see.  It just goes on for miles and miles and miles.
 The walk was only a half mile.  Thank goodness, it wasn't miles because it was all uphill.  Yep, I was a little winded.  I need to start walking more.
Natural Bridge
 This is my favorite spot.  We are standing 282 feet below sea level.   Five miles of salt flats with crusty ridges going every which away.
Bad Water
Turns out it is not as dry as it looks.  Dan and I were kneeling to get better close-ups of the salt.  Both of us ended up with a wet knee.  When the spot dried, we had a salty crusted knees.
Side view of the ridges
Close-up of the dry salt
Small threads of salt 
The mountains surrounding the valley are so colorful..black, orange, red, yellow, pink, and green..yes green soil.
 
All righty then!  We are off to explore the northern end of Death Valley and Scotty's Castle.

Tuesday Treasury
This treasury is for all the hard working burros, donkeys, and mules.  The artists did wonderfully amazing work.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely pics and great close ups!

    and an amazing place too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a desolate place and yet it's possible to find beauty even in Death Valley. The salt photos are really interesting! Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Natural beauty shows up in the most unexpected places. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is amazing. The salt is so cool. I have never been to DV, but you've made it look like an interesting place to go. So uniquely pretty. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always tell my husband this is as trip we should take, it's not far from us. Still have never been there. I love, love, love the desert this time of year. Beautiful pics of the salt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could turn your photos into my jewelry. You are so inspiring. I want to make that Bad Water photo into a pendant. I would get so many compliments. I have to go research how to do that:) With your permission of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I left a message on your blog.

      Delete
  6. What amazing photos! I love those close-ups. Somewhere in the past I got a great little sit-upon/kneeling mat. Looks like you could use such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, such amazing sights! The ruins are fascinating - can you imagine living there so many years ago?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing place! This earth is so beautiful with all it's different landscapes and natural wonders.
    Very cool up close photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing. Some of the places we have visited just leave me awestruck. Thanks, I'm glad you liked the close ups!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts