Monday, July 30, 2012

Welcome Cat, Sunset, and Murder? (La Conner, WA)

A Drunkard's Path: A Someday Quilts Mystery (Someday Quilts Mysteries)
Clare O’Donohue did an excellent job on this story!  I had a hard time putting it down.  Nell has a new romance in her life.  She has decided to go back to art school with lots of encouragement from her quilt circle.  Nell isn’t the only one with a love interest.  Her grandma, Eleanor has also found love with Nell’s art professor and renowned artist.

Not everything in the little town of Archer’s Rest is so idyllic.  Two young women are found dead along the river and one was in Eleanor’s backyard.  Is it the same killer?  One of the suspects is Eleanor’s new beau and Nell is worried about her grandma being the next victim.  This time the whole quilting circle wants to help Nell and gets involved in solving the mystery.

Clare gives excellent clues, but not enough to give away the identity of the killer.   I was very surprised when they finally solved the mystery.  The art class lessons alone were fun to read since I never took art classes ..well, not since high school.  I always wanted to take were courses from a collage.  There was plenty of quilt talk too.  The way Clare merged the artwork with quilt making was wonderful.  I actually got a little frustrated because my fingers would start itching to quilt, but I could not put the book down!  I wish I could get this on my iPod.  I would love listening to this story while I quilt away the hours.


Sunset over Lone Tree Beach



On The Cutting Board
After I finished putting the top together, I was a little worried that the fabric blended into each other.  Too much of the same tone does make it hard to see the Welcome or the cat.
But, once I started the buttonhole along the edges, I knew it would be okay.  I think that next time I will use some better contrasting colors so kitty and Welcome stand out more.  I'm going to make it a little bit bigger too.  This one is only 10x16.
Well, this one is ready to be layered and quilted.
Now, I have three wall hangings to quilt: Art Nouveau, Gift Shop, and this one!  I better get a moving!
Happy Quilting!

2 comments:

  1. What a cute wall hanging! I just now figured it out that the cat is causing the 'Welcome' to falter by messing with the 'L'. So, so adorable! And just like a cat too!

    Love the bright colors, very eye catching! Wonderful job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried it would blend too well too, but that buttonhole stitching definitely makes everything stand out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts