Monday, July 9, 2012

Wool 2 - Proper Gauge (Blaine, WA)

It took me awhile to finish the second book Wool 2, but not because of the story.  I was reading this book on my cell phone while waiting on whatever we were waiting for at the moment.   Yep, I now have Kindle on my cell phone.  Oh, I do enjoy my new toy!  Now, I am always happy when someone tells us there will be a wait.  I immediately pull out my phone...time to read...yes!

By the way, if this is the first time you are reading the Wool reviews - here is the first one.  There are six in this series and I plan to read them all.

Anyway, back to the book.  I loved it!  The second in the series of Wool had my full attention and I can't wait to start the next in the series.

Wool 2 - Proper Gauge
Wool 2 - Proper Gauge tells us more about the community living in the silo.  How they manage to survive for a couple of centuries.  So if I understand knitting and gauging:  in order to have proper gauge, you need to knit a sample to make sure you have the correct needle size and tension.  If you don't do a sampler, your finished project may not come out correctly.  It might be too big or too small or too tense.  So, like knitting, a Mayor should know the proper gauge of her community, but does she?

I like the way the author Hugh Howey introduces the reader to the community by following Mayor Jahns and Deputy Marnes down the spiral stairs to the deep down depths of 144 floors to the mechanical floor.  Their mission is to interview and hire a new sheriff.  Along the way, they make stops on different floors to visit people and to conduct business.  Each level plays a key part in the community.  There is a floor for growing produce, raising animals, living quarters, and even one floor for Intel security or as many of us think of them - "Big Brother".

Hugh's imagination is out of this world or is it under this world?  Well, I loved it and I don't want to say too much if you are interested in reading the Wool series.

On The Cutting Board
I finished marking and cutting out all the pieces for my True Lover's Knot quilt blocks.  All by hand.  It took quite a few days, but it is so much more relaxing to sit in a chair and cut each piece out with scissors.  I don't know about you, but after an hour or two of cutting with a rotary cutter, my shoulders are in knots.  Maybe it is because of the height of my counter.  I don't know.   I do know that I am more relaxed when I am doing everything by hand.
Do you remember my Bunny wall hanging coming in this cute box?  Well, I just could not get rid of it so I put all my extra needles in it along with some thimbles.  
Maybe I will stop losing them now.  I can only hope.  I'm still looking for a few things that I have squirreled away and I have no idea where I put them.  I should make an inventory list with location of all my sewing items......okay, that just wore me out just thinking about it.
And that is as far as I got in the last couple of days.  The sun has been out so I am spending more time outdoors soaking it up.  Of course, the cats are quite pleased with the extra time outdoors.

Chris:  "The flowers of Yorkshire are like the women of Yorkshire. Every stage of their growth has its own beauty, but the last phase is always the most glorious. Then very quickly they all go to seed." 

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, Sandy, those last two photos blew me away. (Does anybody still say that?) They are so, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts