Sunday, December 18, 2011

Nikon D7000 and 500mm Lens (Patagonia, AZ)

I thought I would show you my camera and the lens I have been using for a lot of the wildlife photos.  I am rarely close enough to an animal to be in danger thanks to my  Sigma 500mm lens.   I have my 70mm (standard) lens on my camera to show you the difference in sizes.  Yes, the 500mm is a little heavy to carry around, but it is worth it when I am getting such wonderful close-ups.  

The lens has a stabilizer that I can turn on if needed.  The stabilizer keeps my photos sharp and clear so I rarely use a tripod to keep the camera steady.

I recent purchased a D7000 Nikon to replace my old D70.  I am so much happier with the new Nikon.  Just the difference in Megapixels has really made taking pictures so much more fun.  My old D70 only did 6 megapixels.  My new D7000 - 16 megapixels and I can shoot 6 photos per second!
 Since 16 megapixels or 6-8 MB is a little too large for uploading photos, I can crop my photos as much as I want...
and still have a great photo.  Why I look like I was right next to this Great Egret.  Only in my photos...He would not let me get closer than 100 feet before flying farther down the creek.


Rapid shooting can get some excellent action shots.
If I can get it to focus, of course..
I goofed on this hawk's identity.  It is not a Cooper's Hawk.  This is a Sharp-shinned Hawk.  Apparently, they have similar markings according to this link.
  
This guy was very close to me thatI had to back up to take his photo through the branches.  I had scared him out of some tall grass.  I think I interrupted his lunch and he did not want to leave it.
The hardest part is getting the Auto Focus to focus on the bird and not the branch.
Did I hear a camera click?  I heard the Paparazzi were around today.

I have several favorite Christmas videos that I watch this time of year.  Here's:
Winter Wizard
By Trans Siberian Orchestra

16 comments:

  1. That is SOME camera lens!!! It must weigh a ton! I get tired with my just my 300mm!! But I imagine so worth it! Those shots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. This is amazing. I'm so jealous! Your photography is absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just imagine how amazing it is to be able to take such great photos! I'm in awe of that lense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ali! I contribute a lot to the equipment I am using.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer, It certainly makes a difference. I love looking at the photos and saying, "so that's what he looks like."

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! that looks like a nice camera lens!! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those are amazing photos! And a heck of a lens. Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that camera sure is for a PRO like you. Great pics. Its amazing how clear the egret has come out from such a long distance. Have fun with the cam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That's an amazing camera! Those look so great. I need a good camera so badly. Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I am your new follower via Social Sunday.

    http://www.sjb-myphotopage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now thats some piece of camera, no wonder your images are always so fantastic, love coming over to see them x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Anu! I plan to have a lot of fun with my camera and lens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by Sue J-B. I stopped by your blog to follow you too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Beck! It is always good hear that people are enjoying my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots, especially the hawk. I would love to have a D7000! I have the D3000, but it is in need of repair :( and I can't afford to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BTW, your cat looks just like my Little Guy. (there's a pic of him on my blog)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts