Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Traveling West and Project Linus

Hondo, TX to Del Rio / Laughlin AFB, TX

We are heading west today, so I need to get things packed up for our travel day.  We had a great visit with another Bluebird (motorhome) couple, not to mention, cat people!  I'm sorry to leave so soon, but I am looking forward to being back in New Mexico.

From 365Project -- Signs of Fall


Project Linus

Remember the donated Dresden Plates?

Okay, let me catch you up.  Last year when I visited my friends at Project Linus, one of them gave me a baggie filled with donated Dresden Plates.  None were sewn together.  I finally got the larger plates sewn together and onto four blocks.

I couldn't help myself.  I had to applique Something onto the blocks.  I kept it simple because the fabric and the pattern reminded me of a simpler life before all this lovely technology took over my life.  Very little technology touched this block...so far.  Of course, doing it all by hand proves to be a lot slower.  Talk about being a slow poke quilter!  It only took me over a year to finish the four blocks and I still need to add sashings.  Once we sit still for about a week, I will start working on finishing this top.

In the meantime, I have started working on the Fancy Sue blocks.  I am using the smaller Dresden plates for the skirts.  I have been wanting to make this block for the longest time.  So far, the pattern has been a lot of fun to sew.  I already sewed some skirts together so the appliqueing will go a little faster. I actually did this in one evening.   All she needs is a ribbon on her hat and a flower in her hand.
Fancy Sue
I should be able to make quite a few blocks.


Well, a lot more than a few...


I love donating quilts and both of these quilts will be going back to Project Linus.  I hope the quilts give a child the feeling of security and warmth.

From Project Linus:  our mission which is to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer "blanketeers."


To learn more, click on Project Linus.

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently piecing the girls' horse quilts by hand because I don't have my machine yet. Hopefully, we'll get our stuff put into storage later this month and then I can pull my machine out. I put some stuff aside and had them label the boxes "camper", so hopefully I can find them okay!! I'm looking forward to getting my bread machine back too!

    Have a wonderful quilty week! Enjoy your travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle, I hope your boxes show up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts