Monday, June 3, 2013

Fit To Be Tied To A Computer (Spokane, WA)

Look at that!  Blue sky with a few fluffy clouds.  It is turning into a gorgeous day.  The cats are begging to go outside and I agree with them.  Time to get outside and enjoy some sunshine.

Getting Fit
Recently, Dan bought each of us a new way to monitor our walking.  I have been using the GPS, but it only tells me distance, time, and speed.  It sort of challenged me to walk a little farther or faster, but I had no idea what I was burning in calories, not to mention, it was bulky to carry.  I tried to keep records of what I was doing, but that got a little monotonous.  I have been trying to lose weight since last summer and keep a walking routine as well.

So, here is my new toy and I love it.  The Fitbit monitors my steps, flights of stairs, calories burned, and  distance.  It will also monitor my sleep if I wear it at night which has been interesting to see how the cats often interrupt my sleep and how long it takes me to get back to sleep.
Very small device with big information
The best part - I don't have to manually enter any of this information into the computer just my calorie intake.  I am already seeing a difference.  I'm walking more often.  I wear the Fitbit all day long and try not to sit for long periods of time when I am home.

Oh!  Almost every morning, I do about 1000 steps just from cleaning up after the cats' midnight parties and whatever else needs attention.  I wonder what I use to get in steps when we had a house and I was cleaning it.

So, this is what I see when I go to the Fitbit site.  There's more information below, but this gives you an idea.  I love looking at the charts and the percentages of what I have done or need to do.
There is another site that our Fitbits are connected to...this one is called NeuFit.   This site has challenging quests for a few fitness monitor systems.  I joined a few quests just to see if the challenges would motivate me more than just the Fitbit.  I can connect with other people or go solo. 

We also have a new weight scale by Withings.  The scale is also connected to our computer.  The scale takes our weight, body fat, and heart rate.  I feel like I have walked into a sci-fi movie.

Blogger's Quilt Festival
Thank you for voting for my baby quilt.  Congratulations to Nifty Stitcher for winning the baby quilt category and to all the other winners.  Lots of talent out there in the world!

On The Cutting Board
I should have these two mini wall hangings done by the end of this week!  Both designs are by Nancy Halvorsen.  They were suppose to be made into cones, but I don't have the room to store cones without them getting squashed.  Both minis are about 7 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches.  Such a nice change of pace to start and finish a project within a couple of weeks.  
I know....if I stopped starting so many at one time...well, that is never going to happen.
Happy Quilting!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, how high tech can you get these days?
    Where do you wear it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, I have the same exact fitbit in the same color! You can add me by email address if you'd like rkatika (at) msn (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts