Friday, October 19, 2012

Home is Where You Park It (Patagonia, AZ)

The last couple of days have been very busy.  Dan spent more time cleaning up around the office, our site, and along the trails while I spent time cleaning up the office.  I think the spiders were trying to take over.  Hmm, I wonder how good they are at greeting guests...
We have been walking the trails almost every day since we got here.  Mr. Owl is still in his favorite tree.
Western Screeched Owl
I don't know about the look he was giving us.  Sort of looks like a "well, there goes the neighborhood" look.
Well, there's a fine "Howdy-Do!"
Since we came back earlier than last year, it is rather nice to see the area looking green with a few flowers blooming. 
Wetland flower
The hummingbirds greeted us on our first day back by buzzing our heads.  We soon found out there was a nest in one of the trees near our door although it does not look like they are using it at the moment.  There are three of them - daddy? mommy? and baby?  Anyway, they are happy to have the feeders close to their home.  
This hummingbird is sitting on a cage that is surrounding its feeder at the preserve's office.  The bats like to drink the nectar too, but were swinging the feeder so much that it was empty every morning.  The manager hung the cage for the bats to hang onto without dumping the feeder.  It seems to be working.  I'm not filling the feeders in every morning like the manager had to do.
This big guy had to jump over 5.5 feet to land on the bird's feeder.  He looks like he was enjoying the view from above with no interest in having a snack. 
Yo Guys! Look at me!  I'm on top of the world!
Happy Trails!

4 comments:

  1. Love the photos!! Cant wait for the hummingbird's to reappear here. Too cold right now for them. Its going down to the 20s and 30s at night. The kids are complaining that they are cold sometimes. They seem to be adjusting okay, which is good because it will get much colder very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Owl, good to see you again :) Awww, here in West TN we are missing our hunmmingbirds. So glad they came to see you. I can't remember the last time I saw a cricket. Enjoy your winter home. We look forward to more pictures, commentaries, and your quilting. (I just finished a vintage look Jelly Roll Race quilt.) Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! We hope to have a great winter here with the hummingbirds and owl.
      Your quilt sounds interesting. I would love to see it. Can you email a photo to quiltincats@yahoo.com?

      Delete
  3. You are so fortunate to be able to spend time there, especially so much time! I am very grateful for the opportunity to see the pictures, and slightly jealous - I would love to see these places myself, too. I have never seen a hummingbird - so beautiful! And I have only seen mountain lions in the zoo. Wishing you a wonderful time there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts