Thursday, October 4, 2012

Acorn Woodpecker's Tree (Coarsegold, CA)

We head east tomorrow.  We were going to stay another week near San Diego, but we decided we were ready to leave California.  Too much traffic and way too dry.  I don't mind desert areas, but it is hard to look at a landscape filled with dried up trees.  Poor things look so thirsty.
Acorn Woodpecker's tree and Bat Motel
During our tour of the park, we were shown this tree inside the RV park and found it very interesting.  The Escapees put up bat houses around the park, but it is what the Acorn Woodpeckers have been doing to the old tree that caught our attention.  I like all the carving they did on this one limb.
They also store acorns in every little nook and cranny they can find.  If you click on the photo below, you can see the acorns stored in the cut off limb.
Even the bark has acorns stored in it.
The Acorn Woodpeckers were not wanting their photo taken.  I managed to get this one, but I cannot figure out what he is..a Sapsucker?  Maybe my birding friend will know...
Here's a couple of photos from Yosemite National Park.  I'll either post some more later or put them in Webshots.  Below is a photo of Wawona Hotel and the front lawn.  Doesn't this look inviting?
Come sit a while ~ Wawona Hotel
We walked through the Mariposa Grove to see the Sierra Redwoods.  These trees are too tall for my regular lens so I used my fish-eye wide lens.
Standing among the giants
California Tunnel Tree
I'm still editing the other photos.  I hope to have them uploaded soon.
Happy Trails!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a red-breasted sapsucker to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a woodpecker up close, but I remember one being outside my house when I was a kiddo (and it was real noisy!). By the time I got out there to check it out, it was gone. =(

    I don't blame you for not liking the CA traffic! =)
    ~Kim
    2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The woodpecker tree is fascinating. I love woodpeckers. We occasionally get them on the suet feeder.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts