Thursday, October 31, 2019

Still Grand (Bridgeport, TX)

One of the stops on our travels to Texas was to visit the Grand Canyon.  This is our third visit here and I still find the views very Grand.  
I took a lot of photos.  I wanted to give you the full effect so no collages this time.  The colors and textures are amazing.
We walked the South Rim from the Visitors Center to the Kolb Studio.  Along the trail, there were pennies and years set in the path telling visitors how many years they have walked between each one.
Also, along the path were samples of different rocks with nameplates for visitors to touch.
Across the canyon and to the left, you can see smoke rising from two wildfires.  I can't get over how far I can see.  So clear with such brilliant colors.  Mother Nature at her best.
Looking down... a long, long way down, I wanted to know just how deep is the canyon.  It is 1.154 miles or 1,857 meters deep just in case you wanted to know.😉
Periodically, we would get a peek of the Colorado River.
I found looking straight down with a railing had a slight dizzy effect.  The trail doesn't get close to the cliff if there are no railings. Which is good for someone like me that trips over her own feet.  
We were surprised to see so many people standing close to the edge of the cliffs.   They are more surefooted than I am. 
Not as close to the edge as some people
Below, one guy on the left (red) was waving his arms and jumping up & down. ME - 😨
We finally made it to the Village.  Stopping for lunch, I had a delicious veggie wrap with southwest flavor at the Harvey House Café inside the Bright Angel Lodge.  Decent prices with fast and friendly service.  
Below is the walking trail to the bottom.  It looks like an interesting walk, but I would prefer a ride in a helicopter to the bottom or even take a raft trip down the Colorado River than to hike up and down this trail.
This ground squirrel was happy to show me the proper way to take a dirt bath.  He certainly did not mind posing for my photos.  
Last photo of our 'Grand' tour!  We stopped in Valle on Hwy 64 to check out this Western scene at a gas station.
On The Cutting Board
I'm working on my next Native Flair block and I will have photos for the next post.  For now, I want to share some new fabric to celebrate Día de Muertos.  While in Albuquerque, my friend took me to a couple of quilt shops and she pointed out this Day of the Dead fabric with cats in it.  
Of course, I had to have at least a fat-quarter ...or two.  It was too cute to pass up!  Now, I have the perfect fabric for this festive pattern that I have been wanting to make into a quilt.
Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are fantastic. It was around 1969 when I travelled there with my family and it has not changed much.. real eye-candy. Among some of the fabrics I rescued from a fried, there are bright polka dots with skulls and flowers interspersed. I wonder if that fabric is somehow related to yours. I had never seen something like it and wondered hoe it might be used.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts