Friday, September 30, 2016

Full of Surprises (Sutherlin, OR)

Here's a big surprise - we sold our motorhome within two weeks from the time Dan posted it for sale on the internet and forums.  Our fingers are crossed that our good fortune will hold up to the day we trade RVs for our newer used one in Texas this coming November.  That is when the other couple will sell their motorhome to us.
We are still in Sutherlin, OR enjoying the unusually warm fall weather with crispy cold nights.  Dan has several VA appointments in Roseburg and I have dental problems to take care of before we can move south for the winter.  While we wait, we have been debating once again on which Escapees' park we like better and this time we have surprised ourselves by admitting that Sutherlin has more to offer than Benson.  The only thing we have not liked is our phone and WiFi signals are not very strong in the park.  The park now has free WiFi for the whole park, but it is hard to get a decent signal to upload one day's worth of emails.  Hopefully by the time we decide to settle into a park, this will not be a problem.
Between appointments, I have been cleaning out my closet, pantry, cabinets, and below compartments.  I'm surprised....no, actually I'm shocked at how much stuff I have been carrying around that I have not used or have barely used in the last seven years.  You would think that with our small living space, I would not be hulling around a bunch of unused items.  Hmmm, I guess it is a hard habit to break.

Before we left Silver Creek, WA, we took Shaun out to lunch at the Rivers Coffeehouse in Morton.  Not only do they offer great food and beverages, they also have a small loaning library in the back area.  I took this photo of their book column before we left the shop.  Love it!
Rivers Coffeehouse, Morton, WA
I have been noticing more used bookstores and small loaning libraries in the smaller towns during our time in the northwest along with more yarn and quilt shops.  Even some of the small grocery stores have a book stand filled with used paperbacks conveniently located near the cashiers.  I wonder if it has to do with winters here because I certainly have a hard time finding any kind of bookstore in most southern state's smaller towns.  You know - warmer winters vs. chilly winters that just beg you to stay indoors near a fire curled up under your favorite blanket and a great adventure waiting for you to read....
Coffee books rain:
Or Tea!....And Chocolate!
Pinterest Link
Even Sutherlin can boast of a wonderful used bookstore called the Books Gallery.  I love visiting this bookstore.  There are little nooks and crannies to get lost in.  Chairs offer a quiet place to read.  There is always a puzzle sitting on one of the tables for anyone to work on while they enjoy their coffee or tea with delicious baked goodies.  The shelves are overflowing with so many books that there are often piles of them sitting on the floor.   Heaven!  I brought in quite a few books for trade-in and I have done my share of helping to free up some space as well!
Wenn man der Familie erklären muss, dass man jetzt in einer Höhle lebt...
Cool Book Nook!
Can you tell that I have been reading a lot lately.  So many books on my mind lately and speaking of books or ebooks, I have found a new cozy murder mystery series that I can really dig....no pun intended...okay, maybe just a little since it is about a gardener.  Pru Parke is a Texas ex-pat following her dream of becoming a hired gardener in England.  To start out, she has given herself only one year to find a position as head gardener with a large estate.  If she cannot get hired, she will return to Texas.  Pru soon comes to realize that she is running out of time to find the perfect job position and to solve her first murder mystery which is keeping her from gardening. 
The Garden Plot by Mary Wingate
The Garden Plot (Potting Shed Mystery series Book 1) by [Wingate, Marty]
So far, Mary Wingate has written five books about Pru and I have loved every single one of them.  I have always dreamed of living in England with a small English garden in front of my thatched roof Cotswold cottage so I am feeling a strong connection and fondness for Pru's dreams.  The stories are an easy read, fast-paced, not to mention, funny at times along with little garden facts and history.  And I have to mention DCI Christopher Pearse.  For some reason, he reminds me of Downton Abbey's Mr. Bates.  I think a lot of it has to do with his quiet demeanor during tense moments or during Pru's little whirlwind moments.
The Red Book of Primrose House: A Potting Shed Mystery (Potting Shed Mystery series 2) by [Wingate, Marty]  Between a Rock and a Hard Place: A Potting Shed Mystery (Potting Shed Mystery series Book 3) by [Wingate, Marty]
One more thing, the books are only published as ebooks and audio.  I'm sorry to say that there are no printed copies at this time.
The Skeleton Garden: A Potting Shed Mystery by [Wingate, Marty]  The Bluebonnet Betrayal: A Potting Shed Mystery by [Wingate, Marty]
On The Cutting Board
Besides cleaning and reading, I have been getting some sewing done.  Another way to clear out more closet space by getting some of my UFOs finished.
I finished appliqueing two of my three UFO lap tops.  One with cats....of course...
...and the second one with a tiny village of mushrooms.  I think the English gardens influenced my little village by adding in some flowers.
I hope to get all three lap tops ready for machine quilting before the end of next week.

While we are staying here at the Timber Valley SKP park, I took advantage of their large community center and basted the last of my largest UFOs.  Would you believe that it has been sitting in a container for the last seven years?  I'm so happy to have it basted and ready for the hoop.  I just need to finish the True Lover's Knot quilt and I will be ready to quilt this one.
I call this one my Albuquerque Sunrise.  I designed this quilt in my Electric Quilt software while we were both still working and living in Albuquerque.  Inspiration came from seeing the sun peek over the Manzano Mountains during the short days of winter giving me something to look forward to on my drive to work.  The brilliant colors were so amazing that I just felt a need to capture them in a quilt.  Maybe I should change the name to Manzano Sunrise.

I might surprise myself and have it quilted within a year.  Right....LOL!  Well, whenever I get it done, it will be going on our bed.  It has been too long since I have made a quilt for us and it is about time for a new one to go with our new home.
Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

  1. My hubby and I have always talked about traveling for a year in an RV, so your post was quite interesting to me, besides the fact that I am a quilter/crafter. I've always wondered how that might work in a very small space. Looking forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the quick sale. I hope the rest goes as well. My two daughters in Portland both have sidewalk libraries where they can put books that others can take or borrow. I always love the used book stores in Oregon and come with space in my bag and a list. Your reads sound interesting... and your quilts are charming and timely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is surprising how much one keeps - just in case "it comes in useful"!! Now I'm living in an old folks apartment, I know the limitations of space on one's pack-ratting tendencies! Very hard to break. Love all the quilts, and look forward to seeing them ALL complete! Dropping in via Blogging Buddies site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isobel for dropping by! I'm still working on those piles of stuff!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts