Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Yearning for Blue Skies (Sutherlin, OR)

2020 just keeps on giving. To all my friends being battered by tropical storms and hurricanes, I hope you and your families are safely tucked away from Sally and the storms that are following in her wake.  In the meantime, I am also hoping our west coast friends with homes in the wildfire's path are safe.

September started out with some unusually hot weather.  We have been sticking close to home due to the hot weather and our power being unpredictable.  We did not want to come home to roasted cats after being gone all day.  With temps rising into the 90s, we spent the early morning taking walks around the RV park or grocery shopping.  Usually by 9 am, it was already getting on the warm side and a good time to sit outside with the cats until we lost our shade in the early afternoon.  It sounds boring, but I have been enjoying our quiet times.

On one of my walks, I came across this doe and her fawn.  Neither one was worried about me walking nearby.
The cats were certainly enjoying our beautiful weather.  As you can see below how they were taking advantage of their time spent outdoors.
Tired Dusty
I spent most of my outdoor time reading, talking to neighbors, and working on my quilt.  Doesn't Max look impressed?
The Beast is sleeping
One evening last week, we took a short evening walk.  I noticed the sunset was an unusual hazy red.  I thought of the old sailor's adage: 
Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning
Red sky at night, sailor's delight
I guess that only works at sea because our red sunset was due to wildfire smoke from a fire north of us.  The next thing we knew we were being told there was a new wildfire about 10 miles (as the crow flies) east of us in Guild, OR.  As the day progressed, the sky became darker as the wind blew the fire in our direction.
Day 1
We were asked to prep for evacuation as the smoke turned our world yellow.  Several of the Escapees decided not to wait for evacuation orders and left early.  Yesterday after a week of monitoring warnings, our Level 1 was downgraded to normal, but for some evacuated Sutherlin residents living in the eastern areas, there will be no home to return to. 
Day 1
If you wondering why we did not pack up and leave the area, it is because we need to stay here.  Dan will be starting radiation treatment for prostate cancer for the next 2 months in Roseburg.  He had three appointments this week for consulting and prepping for his upcoming treatments.
Day 2 & 3
For more than a week we have been monitoring our alert links and watching the local news.  The Archie Creek fire stopped moving east thanks to the winds dying down.  This is good news for everyone with homes and businesses in its path, but no wind means the smoke is still hanging around.
Large pieces of ash
I honestly found it easier to do a 14-day quarantine than hiding away from hazardous smoke in our closed up coach.  At least, we could open windows, take walks, or sit outside.  Now, we try to keep our outdoor time limited because the air quality index is way beyond the hazardous level.  Very Unhealthy is 201 to 300 ppm.  Most of western Oregon has been off the charts with 400+ due to the thick smoke.  We have KN95 masks, but I still limit my time outdoors.  I just got my COPD under control with an inhaler.  I really don't want to backslide to how I was feeling last year.  
Next door neighbor's site
Thank you to all Firefighters who are risking their lives and working 24/7 to keep our community safe and the wildfires contained.
Now, if we can just explain this to our cats who are suffering from cabin fever.  Dusty especially doesn't understand why he can't do his usual 2-hour outside cat nap.  If it is raining or gusty winds, all we have to do is let him step outside.  He gets the hint and comes right back in.  Yep, that big furry baby is a fair-weather only kind of cat.😸  But smoke?  How do you explain it isn't safe to breathe?  Yea, he is not a happy camper right now. 😾  Max and Hitch are happy no matter what they do that day as long as they get fed and their share of attention.
As I finish writing this post, the sky is starting to clear.  I saw the sun for the first time in eight days and the wind is picking up a little from the west blowing east.  With some luck, the wind might blow the fire back into the burn-area.  

On The Cutting Board
I am still working on my southwest quilt, but I don't have any new photos except for this one taken 10 days ago.
One of our last days outdoors.
I'm hoping by the time I post again, I will have a couple of rows sewed together.
Happy Quilting and Please Stay Safe!

2 comments:

  1. I hope by now you are getting even more relief from the smoke cuz it’s in Kansas now! The sky was a murky gray today and it was the hot topic on line and on the news, tomorrow too! I can’t smell, but I could feel it, even in our house, so I feel bad for you guys!

    So sorry to hear about Dan!! It kind of seems like Hubs went to a VA in Roseburg once when we were out there. Is that where he will be going for his treatments? Hubs is retired military so I wondered. He took that with his injuries from Vietnam instead of disability. If I being too nosy no problem! Anyway I’m praying for a great outcome with the treatment! I suppose you won’t be able to go in with him with the Covid. That just sucks for couples and different situationsother than that illness, and even with that one too at the end. Sad sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking of you along with my Oregon kiddos. I talk to the girls several times a week and hear how hazardous the air is in the Portland area. I have had a few pictures of Ken fighting those fires ... really scary, and not what a mother likes to see. those guys are only getting a few hours of rest and I can't imagine how they are keeping on. Here's hoping your husband's treatment goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts