Saturday, March 21, 2020

Worldwide Quilting Day! (Whitney, TX) 21 march

  March 19 was the first day of Spring and with Spring comes hope.  
I am hoping I am finding you and your family members doing well during these uncertain times.  

Thanks to social media, I have many quilting friends living around the world.  So today, I thought I would take a break from all the news to celebrate Worldwide Quilting Day on March 21.  Quilt Alliance is celebrating National Quilting Day through their Facebook page.  They are asking for your stories and pictures.
And if you happen to run out of supplies for Quilting Day.....okay, stop laughing and get up off the floor.  You probably know this already, but just in case someone hasn't heard what some of the local shops are going to stay open and serve their customers.  I have seen quite a few local quilt shops offering curbside pick-ups.  Some are taking phone orders while others are offering both phone and online orders.  It warms my heart to see and hear how people are finding ways to work around our social distancing.

Last month, a friend of ours, not to mention, a brilliant quilter,  pointed out that we were staying in a park close to the Texas Quilt Museum.  Thank you Cathy! (right now, the link is only showing the museum's store)
Dan saw Cathy's suggestion and offered to take me to La Grange for the day!  Just a reminder, this was in February.
This is my first view of the inside surrounded by quilts above and on the walls.  Oh my!
This photo includes the museum's gift shop and nearby....
a Raffle quilt.
 "Home Is Where The Army Sends Us" by Kristin La Flamme  This one I can relate to with my husband being in the Air Force for 27 years with the many moves and relocating our family to new areas.
I love how she set up her fiber art homes inside a shopping cart.  
Below is another room displaying some unusual fiber art.  Yes, the one quilt next to the Lynx quilt is glowing.  My close-up did not come out. 😒
Mary Pal created "The Drifter" with cheesecloth on a black background.
Just look at the detail of wrinkles around his eye.  In case you are wondering what he is holding.  He is playing the harmonica.  I spent quite a bit of time staring at this one.
On the opposite wall, the empty fast food quilt caught my eye with all the wording in it.
"The American Still Life: The Weight of the Nation" by The Pixeladies (Kris Sazaki & Deb Cashatt).
The Pixeladies create their artwork with words and phrases cut from written articles that were collaged on paper, scanned and printed on fabric creating a wholecloth that is heavily quilted by machine.  Their statement is perfectly clear in this piece.  I wonder if they will create a quilt about what the world is facing this year.
The "Geometric" by Fumiko Nakayama used the traditional mola reverse appliqué.  She used the original techniques developed by the Guna people of Panama.  Her stitches are so tiny that I almost went cross-eyed trying to find them.
I am very envious of her perfectly round circles.  I have the hardest time keeping my fabric from getting pointy folds no matter how thin I trim my seams.  They say practice makes perfect.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry's "New Dawn".  I have been following Caryl for more than 10 years.  I find it fascinating the way she manages to make most of her fiber art look like it is always in motion.
The Phoenix is one of my favorites.  I love the spiraling flying geese, but getting a close-up look of the Phoenix's face and eye....oh my! 
If you are interested in seeing more of her work, she has several in her gallery online for viewing.
Two more photos of quilts in a third room.
There is a slide show on a continuous loop talking about different quilters that was quite interesting to watch.
We also spent some time walking around La Grange's downtown area....
viewing another beautiful and unique county courthouse.
 I especially liked the gargoyle staring down at the visitors as they walked towards the doors.   There was another one on the opposite side.
 We have moved to Lake Whitney, TX and will be here until April 5.  We have extended our stay in Texas a little longer after being notified that the Oregon State Parks are closed and our reservations have been canceled.  Of course, our travel plans can change if this situation improves.
Path in Colorado River TT park
In the meantime, we will take isolated walks around the park and keep our outings to early morning trips to the grocery stores.
On The Cutting Board
After visiting the Texas Quilt Museum, I went next door to a quilt shop and found the perfect backing for the Jungle quilt.  After washing the fabric, Hitch decided he needed to supervise my ironing and make sure I got all the wrinkles out.
Later, Hitch consulted with Dusty about how they liked the new quilt and the backing.
Dusty helped me with arranging the blocks for another quilt.  He was a very big help.
Dusty likes this quilt the best.  He is waiting for the birds to move.  Tweet! Tweet!
 By the way, the shoe on the bed happens to be Dusty's chew toy.  It was one of my shoes until Dusty claimed it.  I'm just glad he stopped chewing on my other shoes.  The stinker went through half my working shoes before we came up with a compromise.  He can have one pair of shoes, but he needs to leave the other shoes alone.  He has honored that promise since we left Albuquerque in 2009.  Such a good kitty!

One last photo of the Texas Blue Bonnets in the nearby fields.
So, what are you doing to stay busy?  Reading?  Creative projects?  Movie marathons!
Stay safe, stay healthy, and Happy Quilting!

5 comments:

  1. What a nice show! I was happy to see Nakayama-san's work, Her Molas are just amazing. Thanks for all the pictures ... and the outdoor ones too. Glad you could come to an agreement with Dusty over the shoe issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love reading your blog! Love all the photos. Sorry you closed your Etsy shop - why did you? God Bless you, your hubby and kitties, and keep you all healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I closed the shop because my hands were getting bad cramps. Now that I have stopped making Mug Rugs, I am able to pursue making small quilts for charity.
      Bless you too and stay healthy!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a wonderful museum. How much fun to go and check it out. I pray you and your husband are healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts