Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Happy New Year! (Sutherlin, OR)

My plans were to post after Dan's next appointment on Thursday so I could give everyone an update.  After a month of sitting around and waiting, his appointment got moved to the end of January due to his doctor not being available this week.  Rather disappointing, we are ready to hear how his foot is healing.   At least, Dan was able to sit outside for awhile when we had a rare sunny day earlier this week.  The sun felt so good and warm.  Look at that gorgeous blue sky!
 It has been too foggy and overcast to get photos of birds, so I blew the dust off my Macro lens for some close-ups.
One thing I like about this weather is the moss and mushroom life that thrives here.  I love the textures and the different shades of green.
All I need is to find a fairy........ 
nope, no one here.  Ah well, I'll keep looking.
Speaking of fungi, the mold and mildew is under control!  We bought a de-humidifier and I have been using CLR Mold and Mildew killer on the window frames and in the closets.  The de-humidifier made the biggest difference.  I no longer need to wipe down the windows every morning and I'm not sneezing as much as I did before the de-humidifier.  Yes!!

On The Cutting Board
In the spirit of a new year, I decided to finally get out my largest UFO that has been with me since we started full-timing.  It is in the hoop and I'm ready to get it done....in one year.  I want to put the last stitch into it by 31 December 2018.  I think this will be my last big quilt.  It is 72 x 72 inches and it is all batik fabric - front and back.
 I have found out that cat hair sticks very well to batik fabric.  Dusty can rub up against one of the pillows covered in batik and he can leave a grey streak of his fur across it.  Lots of fun keeping the pillows clean.  Keeping this big of a quilt cat hair free is going to be fun while quilting it.  We all know the magnetic pull fabric has to cats.  They can all be asleep in the bedroom and hear fabric being moved.  Soon I'm surrounded with helpers wanting to test out the fabric.  They are such good helpers! 😸😸😸
Max testing out fabric
I have been going through my storage areas looking at all my different projects.  I forgot that I had this bead kit.  Actually, I have three of them.  I thought about getting rid of them then I started working on this one.  
I had also forgotten how much fun cross-stitch projects can be and how fast they are when they are small.  It was such a nice change from my quilting projects that I decided to keep the other two and hopefully have them finished in time for next Christmas.  😊🀞
Happy Quilting!

5 comments:

  1. We have blue skies like that most of the winter. I wear a down jacket in the house but when I go outside, I find it even warmer there. I have a large ... and growing ... collection of batiks that are begging to be made into a quilt. Our winters are so dry I could use a humidifier. Dog hair sticks to everything and even getting thread to leave my fingers and drop into the waste basket is tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try a clothes lint roller. they are sticky an get the hairs great. a friend breeds long hair cats and swears by them. she also used to use shipping tape .. roll magazine put shipping tape on backwards, snug on magazine and tape ends. tap/slap fabric furniture clothes, turn magazine when needed. when tape fills. remove tape and put on new tape.repeat as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions, DY! I have never heard of using a magazine. I will keep it in mind for my medium size quilts and furniture. I do have lint rollers and an upholstery attachment with a beater that fits on my vacuum. It is just the daunting idea of having to keep a 72x72 in. batik quilt clean of cat hair!

      Delete
  3. Just checking in on you. Sorry Dan has a foot issue. Use this time as a bonus to stitch. I'd be in heaven. Love the lot of camper items you made. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts