Sunday, May 20, 2018

Desert in Bloom (Benson, AZ)

We are settled in the Escapees Saguaro SKP Co-op in Benson, AZ for the next couple of weeks.  Our timing was perfect for viewing many cacti in bloom.
I have been going for a walk every morning and can't stop myself from taking photos.  I have noticed that I look forward to my walks between the blue sky, the views of the valley below us, the different textures of plants, and colorful flowers....as long as I get out in the early morning's cooler temps.  By the afternoon, I am not so enthused.
I actually have a sore neck from trying to look at everything during my morning walks.  So much to see between the wildlife and the park settings.
Chollo
Almost every plant in the common areas has a name tag.  I really appreciate the park's volunteer gardeners spending the extra time to tag each plant.  
Prickly Pear
It certainly makes it easier for guests to learn the different kinds of cactus along with other desert plants.  A lot of repetition.  That is dedication!
Yellow Bird of Paradise
I turned the photos below into a collage so I could share more photos of the park.  We are on two waiting lists for a site.  One in the northwest and one in the southwest.  Our plans are to take a permanent site after our travel days are over. 
our temporary site with a view
It has not been an easy decision between Sutherlin, OR and Benson, AZ.  So, many pros and cons for both and neither is winning more pros than the other!  Besides the better winter weather, I love the Casitas built on each site.  Each one made unique by the site's lease holder.  Below are views of some of the different style Casitas from the road.  The bottom left photo shows the space behind the sites with more plants.
The next collage shows the fountain and garden near the Club House along with more blooming cacti.  The lower left photo is a back view of our coach between two sites.
Granted this area is hot and dry.  Water shortage is also a problem, but I still love the desert, the colors, the dry air, and the birds....so many different birds. Okay, so the House Sparrow below is more common, but I have seen roadrunners, quails, and others that I could not identify.
And yet, I love the northwest area as well.  We could become snowbirds and summer in OR with winters in AZ.  Hmmm, I'm glad I don't have to decide today, but I know that day is coming soon.

On The Cutting Board
Four quilts done!  Here are some quick photos of each one.  I will need to find a better spot to take photos for my Etsy shop.  The fabric collection in Cosmos quilt had me wondering what I was thinking.  It sat in the closet for quite a long time because I thought the collection was too dark for a child's quilt with so many browns and sage greens.  With a little yellow, a flash of red, and white background added to the mix and...Ta-Da!  I do believe Cosmos, the Star Puppy looks quite cheerful. 
Cosmos The Star Puppy
The Giraffe quilt is done!  The blocks were easy to do and the giraffes look quite cute, but I'm pretty sure I will not be making this quilt any time soon.
Giraffe quilt
Peek-a-boo Bears - done!  I love the way this one came out.  The scraps really pull the whole quilt together.
Peek-a-boo Bear
The last one is the Zoo panel that I have renamed Hippo and Friends.  I plan to give this one to a children's charity group since this fabric was given to me by a friend.
Hippo and Friends
That's it for now.  I have more quilt tops needing appliqué work.  I hope to have some more to show you in my next post.
Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Hello!! So glad to catch up on your travels. I think I'd winter in AZ and summer in OR. I love OR a lot. I'm not fond of the heat so I don't know if I could summer in AZ. Four years in Lemoore, CA was enough for me. I was too hot there.

    Love to see that you're keeping busy with quilting. I hope to pick up my needles again soon. I've been working 48 hours a week and trying to keep up with house and farm. It hasn't been easy and I'm pooped. I'm looking forward to some relaxing days scrapbooking and quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts