Thursday, October 24, 2019

Part Two of Las Vegas (Albuquerque, NM)

Below are photos from the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Park.  Since I have so many photos, I placed the best ones in collages.
It took a couple of hours to drive the loop with stops and short walks on trails.  The day was perfect with blue skies and mild temperatures.
Viewed some petroglyphs on one trail that was off the regular loop.  It took us a few minutes to find the trail, but it was worth the wandering around to see them.
I was pleasantly surprised to see this remembrance quilt in the Visitors Center.  
A lot of thought and work went into the quilt.  What a beautiful tribute to Goodsprings and a wonderful way to remember your neighbors and friends.
It looks like everyone signed their own block and a few added embroidered flowers to their block.
Even the unmarked graves were remembered in this quilt.
I believe I saw Hoover Dam once many years ago as we were passing by from the highway bridge, but I have never visited or walked across the dam.  The bridge has a pedestrian viewing area.  I enjoyed the view from the center of the bridge and shot some good photos of Hoover Dam.  The rail is so tall that I had to stand on tip-toes to get the shots.  I know...I'm short on both ends.
Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge
Walking out onto the dam and looking down was amazing to think this was built in 1931.  Looking up to the bridge....odd, the bridge looks a lot higher from the Dam than it did when I was standing above. 
Hoover Dam definitely left me feeling awestruck.  
The art deco throughout the dam was grand, but my favorite was the "Winged Figures of the Republic".
One last photo from an overlook of Lake Mead before we left the area.  Beautiful!
Lake Mead
Hitch was very opinionated about our leaving the FamCamp in Nellis AFB.  He tried to get out as we were setting up to leave.  He cried for at least the first hour of travel before he finally wore himself out.
I think the cat that left these paw prints might have had something to do with Hitch's unusual behavior.
Hmmm, stray cat letting us know that this is his area across our car.
On The Cutting Board
Okay, here is my first attempt to make my own block (Quail).  I did not want to design them too close to the fetish designs of the 'Native Flair', but just similar enough to where they did not stick out.  
My first attempt
Making wide enough designs so I could add swirls, arrows, or circles turned out to be quite a challenge.  The Quail wasn't as hard since they tend to look quite plump, but I could not make the feet the same native-fetish design.  To me, the Quail just did not look right, so I left both feet in the design.
Native Flair design
Okay, one down and four more to go!
Happy Quilting!

2 comments:

  1. Love your travel pictures and your blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow fabulous photos! Looks like an amazing place and I love the Art Deco too. What a lovely surprise to discover that beautiful quilt. I love my life but I do envy yours sometimes ...so wonderful travelling around. Take care. Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts