Sunday, January 20, 2019

Making Changes (Key West, FL)

I'm having a hard time believing it has been almost 2 months since my last post.  Most of the time has been spent on base.  Between taking morning walks, sitting outdoors with the cats, and just enjoying this great weather....well, I don't know where the time has gone.  We have also visited the downtown area a couple of times, but I'll wait until the on posting those photos.  

To catch-up:  we celebrated Christmas in dry camping and moved the next day to full hook-ups.  A great Christmas surprise for us to receive a site on the waterfront.
I was going to post for New Year's, but I was distracted with the views from our front window and the announcement that the base was having a Yard and Crafts sale in January.  I reserved a table and became quite busy with my projects.
Even Dusty loved our new location.  At least once a day, he insisted on walking across the road to the picnic table (with or without us)
Dan and Dusty
where he continued to tell us what a great place this was and can we stay here forever?
I'm quite sure that Max and Hitch were not as impressed with their new location,
but they managed well enough with the openness of our site.  The smaller and tighter our site, the happier these two were about being outdoors.
  I have to admit that the sunsets were wonderful
with plenty of water activity going on right up to the moment the sun sizzled into the sea.
We are often up before sunrise especially when we are dry camping, so we were able to get some morning photos during our walks
sunrise over the marina
The last time we were here, I rarely saw a pelican around the base.
I'm happy to say they are back and just as much fun to watch as before.
We saw this Little Blue Heron several times hunting for lizards in the rocks.  He was very focused on his hunting and ignored the people nearby.  I look for him during my walks now that we have rotated back into dry camping.
 We will probably in dry camp here for about 3 weeks before rotating again since there are over 150 on the waiting list for full hook-ups.  Which is fine with us.  We have a great spot on a corner site with shade in the mornings and evenings.
one more sunrise
Who could ask for more?

On The Cutting Board
Okay, now to talk about the changes that I mentioned in the title.

I have decided to close my Etsy shop this year.  As of December, I am officially a senior citizen and have filed for social security.  Since it is starting in February and the orders have slowed down, I thought this was a good time to close shop.

I am signed up for a Yard and Craft sale next weekend that's being held on base.  I don't expect a whole lot of business, but with some luck, I hope to sale quite a few items.  In preparation for closing down my shop, I have been finishing up the last of my UFOs that I started last year for the shop.  Here are the last 8 Happy Campers:

I have also been cleaning out my storage tubs.  I have been carrying around polyester filling and stuff bear parts (eyes, joints, buttons) for too many years.  
Simply Pitiful Bear Angels
So far, I have made 7 bears and I probably could make another two with what is left.  I'll see how well this group of bears do at the sale before I decide to make the last two.  
 I'm hoping the pitiful look will melt a few hearts and they will find a new home soon.
The wings were suppose to be solid, but this seemed like a good opportunity to use up some scraps with a crazy quilt look.  I also found this to be a great way to practice a more free style embroidering with an English cottage garden theme.
Photos setup for Etsy Shop
 I often started with just a line for the stems.  I spent a lot of time going through my books and just deciding I should try making this flower.
 Half the time, I had no idea how they were going to turn out.
 I enjoyed embroidering the wings so much that I might try this again with a crazy quilt.
I'm in the mood for cleaning.  I have already cleaned out my files and supplies.  I'm definitely looking forward to retiring my handmade shop.  I'll finally have time to finish many of my UFO quilts and cross-stitch projects that I have been packing around for many years.
Happy Quilting!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Do you have any more of those 8 "happy campers" for sale? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking! I have a large selection of Happy Campers with Free Shipping right now in my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/QuiltinCats?ref=seller-platform-mcnav
      Sandy

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you.

"Friendship is a blessing, It's the best you have to share, The talents and the wisdom, The capacity to care." ~ Emily Matthews

Popular Posts